HUChronicle_Twitter_Logo.jpg

Hi.

Welcome to the official, independent student-run newspaper of Hofstra University!

Hofstra to host third consecutive presidential debate

trump__clinton UPDATED AT 4:57 p.m. with Hofstra's statement

Hofstra University has been named the host of the first presidential debate, to be held on Sept. 26, after Wright State University announced that it had pulled out Tuesday.

The announcement from the Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD), means that Hofstra will become the first university to hold three consecutive presidential debates after previously hosting in 2008 and 2012.

Last year, Hofstra was chosen as an alternate site for the slate of fall general election debates. Longwood University, Washington University in St. Louis, University of Nevada-Las Vegas and Wright State were the primary choices.

Wright State withdrew from hosting after university president David Hopkins told The Dayton Daily News that rising costs were becoming an issue.

Hopkins said that expected costs rose from $3.5 million to $8 million while planning the debate.

In a statement on the CPD's decision, President Stuart Rabinowitz said, "Hofstra University is honored to be called on to host the first presidential debate on Sept, 26. 2016. This is an extraordinary privilege and responsibility. We greatly appreciate the faith shown in us by the [CPD], and we have begin preparations for a very successful debate."

Hofstra will be the only site that has previous experience hosting such an event; this is the first time the other three institutions have been awarded a general election debate.

As more information and comment from the university becomes available, The Hofstra Chronicle will continue to update this story.

Hofstra's debate hall in 2012.

Women's soccer faces tough schedule in quest for CAA crown

Hofstra mourns the loss of former president James M. Shuart