Welcome to the official, independent student-run newspaper of Hofstra University!

Rogers ruins Pride's upset bid

By Joe Pantorno, Sports Editor

Notre Dame's Sean Rogers took the hero's cape from sophomore attack Torin Varn.
Just eight seconds after no. 7 Notre Dame took a 5-4 lead through Rogers, junior midfielder John Antoniades won the face-off, sent a long, arcing, somewhat dangerous pass to junior midfielder Adrian Sorichetti down the right sideline who hit a cutting Varn 10 yards in front of goal, finishing into the upper-left corner with 3.9 seconds left in the game.
"Adrian [Sorichetti] is our playmaker. It was a great job by Torin Varn. At that point and time, it doesn't matter what you draw up, you have to have guys that want to make cuts to the net and want the ball in their stick and Adrian has the knack for putting the ball in someone's stick," said Tierney. "We catch Torin Varn on a little bit of a front swing and he puts it on the goal, and now all of a sudden we get the momentum."
With all that momentum, it was Rogers who ruined the day as he beat senior goalie Andrew Gvozden from the right side of the net with 2:41 left in overtime to give Notre Dame (3-1) the 6-5 victory.
"They all hurt," said Hofstra head coach Seth Tierney. "Two losses we've had at Shuart Stadium and they all sting. Overtime, having opportunities, congrats to Notre Dame."
Taking on the best defense in the nation, Hofstra (2-3) managed to keep the game close despite some aspects of the game being dominated by Notre Dame.
"Coming into the game we knew they had the best defense in the nation," said sophomore attack Lance Yapor. "We just wanted to play smart and take the opportunities that were given to us."
The Fighting Irish had many chances to take multiple goal leads, but could not capitalize on opportunities due to missed chances and the play of Gvozden, who made seven saves on the day.
Going into halftime, Notre Dame held a 3-1 lead.
With 9:09 left in the game, Yapor decided to take the game over.
"We just found some openings and we were able to take advantage of them," said Yapor.
Taking full advantage of any sort of space the Notre Dame defense left him, Yapor conjured three goals, all starting from behind the net, in a 3:52 span to give Hofstra a 4-3 lead with 5:17 to go.
After winning possession from the ensuing face-off, Hofstra attempted to hold the ball for the last five plus minutes, passing the ball around, killing the clock.
Notre Dame managed to get the ball back with 1:55 left and 53 seconds later, Jim Marlatt tied the game at four from right in front of goal.
"We have to focus on everybody being in the right spot," said Gvozden. "Everybody has to be in there to limit inside shots and force them to shoot outside."
Going into overtime, Hofstra began the five minutes with possession but could only muster a long shot from junior midfielder Ian Braddish that was tipped and easily saved.
"I'm happy that Ian wanted the ball at the end," said Tierney. "That's different but I certainly would have loved to have executed."

TV That Matters 3/15: Smash, Justified, 30 Rock

Hofstra to host Harvard in first round of WNIT Thursday